For our latest episode of T&D Talk, a special series on the T&D World Line Life podcast channel, we are focusing on the topic of HV installation. Our guest is Randy Denmon, director of high-voltage services for Southwire. He has been in the industry for 25 years and is responsible for the safe, quality installation of 69 kV through 500 kV underground transmission projects.
By listening to the episode, you can learn about the following:
- How high-voltage underground transmission cable helps to meet the growing demands of the electrical grid
- The step-by-step process of installing the underground cable
- Special precautions, design considerations or best practices regarding undergrounding transmission cable
- Suitable locations for installing the HV cable underground
- Strategies for success when it comes to installation
- How Southwire's installers are trained and certified
- A description of Southwire's project management, cable pulling, splicing, terminating, sheath bonding and grounding services
- How lineworkers assist the Southwire crew with the installation or maintenance of the HV cable
- The installation process during cold weather situations
- The HPFF retrofit solution and how it will help utilities meet their current and future needs
For more information about Southwire’s HV cable program, visit the website.
Also, be sure to check out the other two episodes sponsored by Southwire for our T&D Talk series: