Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. has announced the newest innovation in capacitor bank relaying, the SEL-487V Capacitor Protection and Control System. This economical relay combines synchrophasor technology and flexible communications with complete capacitor bank protection and control. The SEL-487V protects and controls grounded and ungrounded, single- and double-wye capacitor banks.
“Prior technologies required different or multiple relays for each type of capacitor bank configuration,” said Jeff Pope, SEL senior product engineer. “We’re bringing capacitor bank relaying to the next level by providing comprehensive capacitor bank protection, control, and synchrophasors for any configuration.”
With the new SEL-487V users can:
- Improve power system reliability and stability with built-in synchrophasor measurement system.
- Apply voltage and current inputs for optimum capacitor bank protection and control.
- Find faults faster with advanced faulted phase and section identification logic.
- Automatically perform calculations for application-based settings with IEEE C37.99-based settings assistant software.
- Increase sensitivity and security with automatic unbalance compensation.