The ZigBee Alliance, a global ecosystem of companies creating wireless solutions for use in energy management, commercial and consumer applications, today announced the official certification of 19 products using the ZigBee Smart Energy public application profile. This first group of products provides a broad range of services designed to help utility companies worldwide implement new home area networks for managing energy, helps consumers improve their own energy efficiency and delivers multi-vendor product interoperability.
"Southern California Edison will be relying on ZigBee Smart Energy products like these to connect homes to our industry leading Edison SmartConnect program," said Paul De Martini, vice president at Southern California Edison. "ZigBee Smart Energy products will provide our customers with choice and promote long term sustainability."
The following ZigBee Smart Energy products were tested to ensure they meet all of the Alliance's strict specifications and perform as promised. These products represent solutions across the entire efficiency ecosystem -- energy services portals, meters, displays, thermostats and load controllers. Each product may wear the ZigBee logo so that they may be easily identified in the marketplace.
- Cellnet + Hunt -- FOCUS AX endpoint is an advanced metering endpoint that provides two-way communication with the utility, meter and home-area networks
- Ember -- Smart Energy Application is a complete reference implementation of each of the device types, clusters, and security functions, enabling easy customization by device manufacturers to allow rapid development and certification of their products
- Itron -- OpenWay CENTRON advanced electricity meters provide highly accurate electricity measurement and support two-way communications between utilities and homes, including home area networks
- Itron -- OpenWay Gas Module accurately measures natural gas consumption and supports two-way communication with the Itron OpenWay CENTRON meter for meter reading and remote programming -
- Tendril -- Outlet is a three-prong electrical outlet, for use in any standard home outlet, that monitors and controls the energy consumption of any electrical appliance while offering Internet or in-home display tracking
- Alektrona -- Z-Aperture is a broadband energy service portal providing Internet connectivity for demand-response/load-control, sub-metering, and other energy management services
- Computime Limited -- CTW200 is a thermostat that monitors, controls and displays energy consumption and rate information while supporting all standard HVAC systems and two stage heat pumps
- Computime Limited -- CTW300 is an in home display with a large dot matrix screen for users to monitor energy rate and consumption information in residences
- Comverge -- DCU offers a wide range of functionality -- from individual addressing to adaptive algorithms and is compatible with popular air conditioning units, water heaters, pool pumps, and other auxiliary appliances
- Comverge -- SuperStat is a smart thermostat offering both utilities and end users programmable and energy efficient control that operates with popular heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems while offering web based features
- Energate -- Pioneer Z100 is a smart thermostat incorporating next generation technology beyond the features found on today's most sophisticated thermostats and provides unparalleled performance with an exceptional user interface
- Greenbox Technology -- Greenbox is a web-based interactive energy management platform enabling households to better understand and manage their energy and water usage, while saving money and reducing their carbon footprint
- LS Industrial Systems -- LK Series Single-Phase and Poly-Phase Electric Meters are intelligent, fully featured, and revenue-grade solid-state energy meters with integrated two-way communications supporting many standards
- National Technical Systems (NTS) -- Smart Energy Test Harness is a complete reference application emulating all types of ZigBee Smart Energy devices that automates the execution of the complete certification suite needed to achieve certification
- PRI -- Home Energy Controller monitors and displays electricity and gas consumption from any meter and provides cost information on a customer friendly display
- PRI -- Single and Poly Phase Multi Rate Meters offer optional load control switches and a variety of power ratings to suit any market
- Trilliant-- SecureMesh Micro Access Portal is independent from the meter and can be embedded in any end-point device including thermostats, in-home displays, appliance controllers or meters and is part of the Trilliant SecureMesh AMI network
- Wireless Glue Networks -- GSF Smart Energy Device Simulator models and tests ZigBee Smart Energy devices on ZigBee PRO platforms including Texas Instrument Z-Stack and Ember ZNET and also supports active device on Daintree Networks' SNA
Other Alliance members play a key role in facilitating the completion and certification of Smart Energy products. ZigBee Promoters Ember and Texas Instruments each provide development and implementation support. Certicom provides assistance implementing Elliptic Curve Cryptography on ZigBee Smart Energy devices and issuing device certificates. Daintree Networks Sensor Network Analyzer provides independent validation of interoperability through implementations of all ZigBee Smart Energy capabilities. Wireless Glue Networks provides the Glue Software Framework offering simulation test systems to model a variety of ZigBee Smart Energy devices. NTS Corp. and TUV Rheinland, the Alliance's two official test labs, provide testing support and certification services around the world.