The panel, K-12 Outreach and Educational Initiatives Within the Power Industry, provides an overview of K-12 outreach and other educational initiatives within the power industry. Anurag Srivastava, Washington State University, and Sarika Kushalani-Solanki of West Virginia University will chair the session on Wednesday, May 9, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Outreach activities and educational programs are targeted at K-12 students, engineering students, guidance counselors, school teachers, university professors, parents, and power engineering industry to increase the awareness and image of the power engineering profession. This is necessary to provide a solution for the workforce problem with an aging workforce and with ongoing modernization of the electric power system. Goal of this panel is to provide exposure to existing outreach initiatives within power industry and provide ideas towards achieving this important goal of power engineering workforce development. Some of the objectives of the panel are:
1. Providing details of specific example of ongoing outreach activities at the Center for Energy Workforce Development, Gulf Power, Schweitzer Engineering Lab and National Grid.
2. Providing details of IEEE PES Scholarship Plus Initiative
3. Providing ideas and opportunities to help with power engineering outreach and workforce development.
PRESENTATIONS AND PANELISTS:
- Announcing the IEEE PES Scholarship Plus Initiative to Overcome a Stark Challenge: Building our Power and Energy Engineering Workforce: W. REDER, S&C
- K-12 Outreach and Educational Initiatives within the Power Industry: C. ROOT, National Grid; J. ELDREDGE-ROOT, Nashua NH School District
- Tending to the K-12 Talent Pipeline: D. MCGREEVY, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc;. S. HOOPS, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.; B. MORRIS, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
- Inspiring Tomorrow’s Energy Workforce Today: How the Energy Industry Connects with Students of All Ages: A. RANDAZZO, Center for Energy Workforce Development
- POWER UP: How Gulf Power Company and Florida is Building an Energy Talent Pipeline for the Future: J. GROVE, Gulf Power Company; A. RANDAZZO, CEWD