GE has announced the availability of its Grid IQ Network Communications Platform, an end-to-end, industrial-grade networking communications platform that supports AMI, SCADA and other mission-critical grid automation communication applications. Designed for ruggedized environments, the Network Communications Platform meets customers’ expanding needs for a single network that can support multiple grid applications. The platform also supports utilities’ critical needs to simplify operations, lower overall operating and capital expenses as well as providing the capability to leverage legacy networks and end devices.
The Grid IQ Network Communications Platform enables large-scale AMI, SCADA and other grid automation communication applications that can be used by utilities around the globe. It is a unified IP-based network infrastructure providing connectivity to existing and emerging AMI, SCADA and other grid automation communication applications including:
- High-Capacity fiber and microwave backhaul.
- Scalable, wireless broadband communications utilizing Industrial WiMAX.
- A portfolio of edge access wireless devices to extend coverage.
- Field area gateways supporting legacy systems.
- An SNMP-based network management system for ongoing and proactive management and maintenance.
All components provided in the Grid IQ Network Communications Platform are designed for industrial applications and deployments in harsh environments, support utilities in meeting their NERC-CIP security requirements and are standards based at all layers.