SAP AG has announced the availability of the SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere 16 suite, the latest release of data management and synchronization technology. As a key element of and satellite server within the SAP Real-Time Data Platform, the suite helps extend business transactions to remote office locations. It enables the rapid development and deployment of database-powered applications in embedded, software-as-a-service (SaaS), remote and mobile environments. Powerful, autonomic data management and data synchronization with enterprise-wide applications allows data collection and aggregation from the "Internet of Things " into the SAP Real-Time Data Platform.
"SAP continues to advance its real-time database capabilities by integrating key Sybase database technologies such as SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere into its comprehensive enterprise information platform," said Carl Olofson, research vice president for application development and deployment, IDC. "The new version of SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere includes key improvements such as expanded query optimization for faster response times, which makes access of enterprise data on a mobile platform more practical, and security enhancements for protection of critical business data, which helps put business managers at ease regarding the distribution of sensitive data to mobile devices. These technologies
The SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere suite and data management solutions from SAP are built to make server, desktop, embedded and mobile applications as reliable, secure and available as the applications that run the data centers of traditional enterprises. The suite provides organizations with easily available remote access to data-driven applications at the edge of the enterprise and the ability to synchronize changes and updates to maintain consistency with enterprise data. SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere is widely used by solution providers and enterprises as a low-administration, highly reliable embedded database of choice for solutions running in embedded, mobile and satellite environments. Paired with the SAP HANA platform, SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere now offers application flexibility to the point of communication and richer customer interactions whenever and wherever they need to occur.
CleanPoint has developed an elegant monitoring and control system that enables homeowners to manage their electricity and appliance usage in conjunction with new Smart grid systems. The CleanPoint solution is a user friendly application appliance powered by SQL Anywhere using data collected from the homeowner's own electricity usage.
Enhancements in SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere 16 include:
- 24x7 operations: Database mirroring robustness and elasticity improvements, on-the-fly server processor allocation and more non-blocking operations to improve concurrent application availability
- Security: A new role-based security model for enhanced control and granularity of privileged user operations, support for lightweight directory access protocol (LDAP) user authentication and additional features for password change control
- Performance: Expanded options for query optimization to better exploit multi-CPU servers and intra-query parallelism
- Developer productivity: Support for open data protocol (OData), enhanced event tracing for production system troubleshooting and expanded SQL language support including ROW and ARRAY data types
- Data synchronization: Support for bi-directional sync of SAP HANA to thousands of mobile users, new synchronization testing tools and intuitive sync setup and deployment wizards
The developer edition of SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere can be downloaded for evaluation here.