Preformed Line Products has expanded its RAPTOR PROTECTOR family of wildlife protection products. Eagles, hawks and owls perch in comfortably high places — including on your power poles and lines. But the brush of a wing can change that in a flash.
Not only can bird electrocutions lead to power outages and system damage, they can potentially lead to soaring fines from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Since 1999, the federal government has made it clear that utility companies are in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and/or Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act when certain birds are killed unintentionally on their power lines.
To protect your power utility and comply with U.S. law, Preformed Line Products offers a series of RAPTOR PROTECTOR’s. These polyethylene covers quickly and easily snap on to insulators or dead-ends, providing a barrier between perching birds and dangerous voltage.
Fits any insulator or dead-end configuration
RAPTOR PROTECTORs have six variations:
- Tangent — installs over (single or double) pin or post insulators, 80 inches long, bends up to 10 degrees
- Heavy Angle — installs over (single or double) pin or post insulators, 80 inches long, bends up to 30 degrees
- Horizontal Trunnion — installs over horizontal trunnion insulators, 80 inches long, bends up to 10 degrees
- Vertical Trunnion — installs over vertical trunnion insulators, 80 inches long, bends up to 10 degrees
- Dead-end (small) — installs over dead-ends, 30 inches long, for ranges between .175 and .730 inches
- Dead-end (large) — installs over dead-ends, 30 inches long, for ranges between .541 and 1.300 inches
Easy to install, holds fast
Using a hot stick or gloves, linemen can install the lightweight RAPTOR PROTECTOR’s in seconds. Lock pins hold the product in place. Dead-end variations come with a pigtail attachment to hold the product in place over the insulator and an anti-lift clip to keep it on the conductor.
Preformed Line Products offers free training, including at customer locations and in the field.
“The RAPTOR PROTECTOR has a streamlined profile, which helps keep it stable in the wind,” says Mark Burns, Market Manager of Distribution Products. “With pins or clips, it holds fast — not falling off or sliding along the conductor due to aeolian vibration or other conditions.”
Features and benefits
- Manufactured from linear low density polyethylene (LLDPE)
- Fully UV stabilized
- Low-temperature impact resistant
- Environmental stress crack resistant
- Installs in seconds
- Tangent protectors attach to C, F or J neck insulators, covering only the insulator head, not the skirts
- Easy to modify for most double crossarm construction; accommodates double crossarm insulators, 6.5- to 22-inches, center to center