Virgil Rose has 45 years experience in the electric utility industry including consulting, engineering, system operation, and management. He has had engineering and management assignments at virtually every level of the utility business from transmission and distribution design to being the head of the largest business unit at PG&E with over 15,000 employees. Mr. Rose has provided expert testimony for both litigation and regulatory proceedings.
Mr. Rose is an independent consultant. His consulting practice includes management of a portfolio of projects in advanced real-time system operations, reliability, and asset management strategies. He has worked with utilities, California Energy Commission, DOE, CAISO, BPA, and National labs to address the grid vulnerabilities. He is currently working with an independent system operator in Canada involving the installation of a new 500kV line.
Mr. Rose had extensive senior executive experience at PG&E in the areas of operations, business management, asset management strategy, industry restructuring, and corporate policy. He held senior executive positions including: Senior Vice President - Electric Supply Business Unit, Senior Vice President – Customer Energy Services Business Unit, and Vice President of Electric Operations.
Mr. Rose received his Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from Fresno State University and his Master’s in Electrical Engineering from Santa Clara University. He also attended Harvard University’s Advanced Management Program.
Mr. Rose’s professional and community affiliations include:
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Registered Electrical Engineer, CA, #7811
- Past Chairman, US CIRED Committee, (International Electric Distribution)
- Past Board Member, Leavey School of Business (Santa Clara University)
- Past Chairman, National Parks and Conservation Association
- Past Director, YMCA of San Francisco
- Past Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Electric Light and Power