The SEL-351R Recloser Control course offered by Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories explores the traditional recloser control functions and complete distribution system protection capabilities of the SEL-351R. The course also covers advanced applications including selective load shedding, loop-feed systems and using dual recloser controls to provide premium service reliability. Course topics include:
- Distribution protection features
- Programmable four-shot auto reclosing functions
- Rapid installation for Kyle/Cooper recloser control replacements
- Battery connections, operation and maintenance
- Control power connections (120-Vac power [optional 240-Vac] and 12-Vdc auxiliary equipment)
- Optional three-phase and synchronism check PT connections
- Coordination with downstream reclosers
- Developing SELOGIC control equations
- Using front-panel display and operator controls
- Monitoring and breaker failure applications
- Reviewing EZ settings for basic recloser operation.
Attendees will work directly with the SEL-351R Recloser Control performing hands-on communications, settings and testing. At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Upgrade existing substation and pole-mounted recloser controls
- Communicate with the recloser control through front-panel and serial port interfaces
- Use the ACSELERATOR software to apply EZ settings, program SELOGIC control equations, and analyze event reports
- Implement relay-to-relay logic communications via MIRRORED BITS communications protocol
- Coordinate with upstream feeder relays for high-speed fault clearing on distribution circuits
- Apply high-side transformer blown fuse detection logic to protect customers from potentially damaging unbalanced voltages
- Use fault detection capability to identify feeder trouble points.
The next SEL-351R Recloser Control course will be held May 9-10 in Hilton Head, South Carolina, U.S. It will also be held on Sept. 6-7 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S., and Sept. 12-13 in Shreveport, Louisiana, U.S.