S&C’s new IntelliRupter PulseCloser for overhead lines was designed from the ground up to accommodate advanced feeder automation functions such as IntelliTEAM II and the new IntelliTEAM III Automatic Restoration System, as well as SCADA.
IntelliRupter incorporates PulseClosing technology. To test for faults, PulseClosing applies a fast, low-energy pulse to the line, significantly reducing damaging fault currents and voltage sags on the faulted line as well as adjacent feeders. Substation transformers will experience fewer through-faults, extending their life. And cables, overhead conductors, splices, and terminations will experience less thermal and mechanical stress from through-fault currents too.
IntelliRupter features a base-integrated control that’s accessed for configuration and operation via a secure WiFi link. This approach improves reliability, operator safety, and convenience, and significantly enhances security compared to “lock-and-key” approaches, according to S&C. IntelliRupter also features:
- A magnetic actuating system that enables PulseClosing technology.
- Integrated three-phase voltage sensing – on both sides of the interrupters.
- An integrated power module – available on one or both sides of the interrupters. Eliminates need to install separate power transformers.
- Integrated three-phase current sensing. Provides linear output over the range from load to fault current.
- Solid dielectric insulation.
- Vacuum interruption up to 12,500 A.
- 630/800-ampere continuous current rating.
- Voltage ratings from 10 through 27 kV at 50 or 60 Hz.
- Models with integrated visible disconnect.