The Geospatial Information & Technology Association (GITA) announced this week that Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD), Truckee, California, was named the recipient of the 2007 GITA Excellence Award for the electric sector. The award recognizes the dedication, insight, and high degree of initiative in the outstanding application of geospatial technology. The award was presented during the opening session of GITA’s Annual Conference 30, held March 4-7, 2007, at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas.
Since the TDPUD’s geographic information system inception in 2000, the system has been built to include:
1. A GIS electric design system fully integrated with its ABS.
2. A GIS OMS fully integrated with its CIS and outsource call center.
3. Integration to electrical modeling software.
4. Integration to AMR software.
5. A National Rural Electric Cooperative Association Award-winning field software that integrates bi-directionally via wireless technology.
TDPUD’s most unique trait is its GIS-centric OMS application, fully integrated in real-time with an outsourced call center. The district has the ability to take calls internally and have overflow calls go to Minnesota; amalgamating all calls within its OMS real time.
“Our success in implementing a fully integrated, GIS-centric enterprise system is a testament to both the technical drive of small utilities like ourselves, and the software vendor’s delivery of open, configurable products. The Excellence in GIS award proves small utilities can succeed in the implementation of GIS,” Ian Fitzgerald, GIS coordinator, TDPUD.