Austin Energy has licensed LodeStar software to perform load research. Based in Austin, Texas, Austin Energy is the nation's 10th largest community-owned electric utility, serving 360,000 customers and a population of more than 800,000.
Load research is the analysis of utility usage data to better understand when and how customers use energy. LodeStar is a software solution designed to collect, manage and analyze load research data. It consists of subsystems for Sampling, Data Management and Data Analysis. With LodeStar, utilities like Austin Energy can optimize load forecasting, cost-of-service, and marketing programs. LodeStar has specific pre-built features for:
- Designing single or multi-dimensional samples.
- Loading, validating and automatically fixing incorrect data.
- Producing robust, customizable reports.
- Managing interval data storage.
- Performing MPU, Ratio, 100 percent, Domains, or Individual Customer Analysis.
- Graphically viewing/editing any interval data or analysis results
"To streamline and optimize their operations, load research is a critical component for every utility," said Glenn MacRill, vice president of North American sales and services for LODESTAR.