DTE Energy has selected a solution to manage the complete lifecycle of the company’s capital projects, from inception through execution.
DTE Energy Co. is a diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. DTE Energy is one of the nation’s largest energy suppliers, serving more than three million customers in Michigan. The company’s major projects area has a capital program encompassing a portfolio of nuclear, coal, natural gas, and renewable energy projects. DTE Energy was interested in a comprehensive capital project management solution that would standardize processes and reduce operating costs, while supporting the company’s strategic initiative for continuous improvement.
“DTE Energy’s focus on continuous improvement has us working smarter and more efficiently by using a disciplined, fact-based approach,” said Ron May, senior vice president, major enterprise projects, DTE Energy. “Our vision for the new program is to consolidate project information from multiple sources into a single centralized integrated system, thereby improving the overall project delivery process.”
One of DTE Energy’s strategic imperatives is to continually move up the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Maturity Model. The implementation of the program is expected to be a key step to accomplish that goal. DTE Energy selected Skire’s Unifier for the project and portfolio management. With Unifier, DTE Energy has identified these goals:
- Integrate a variety of systems, including SAP, so that critical information is available in real time.
- Standardize work processes to ensure the correct information is gathered and stored at the accurate time.
- Improve overall project controls, including cost, schedule, scope and resources.
- Better collaborate with contractors and business partners.
- Optimize processes to increase efficiency.