ComEd last week distributed its 2016 Smart Grid Progress Report Delivering on the Smart Grid Promise: Laying a Foundation for the Future. The report demonstrates how the $2.6 billion Smart Grid investment plan is delivering tangible benefits to customers through greater power reliability, energy savings, economic development, community investments and financial assistance. The report also highlights the utility’s work building upon the Smart Grid foundation driving toward the future with clean technologies, more customer choices and greater savings.
“Since the launch of the Smart Grid program, we have been dedicated to ensuring that Smart Grid investments are bringing the value we promised to our customers, state and communities,” said Anne Pramaggiore, president and CEO, ComEd. “Our investments to modernize and strengthen ComEd’s power delivery system have set records and exceeded expectations in several areas, including system reliability, customer satisfaction, job creation, economic development and supplier diversity spend. We are proud of these results and look forward to building on the Smart Grid platform, bringing even greater services and value to our customers in the future.”
The Smart Grid Law, passed by the Illinois General Assembly in 2011, is a 10-year grid-strengthening and modernization effort that ComEd is delivering on budget and ahead of schedule.
Report highlights include:
- ComEd deployed a total of $2.4 billion in capital investments in 2015 - largest in the company’s history
- $663 million on the Smart Grid investments, more than 2 million customers now have smart meters
- More than 4.8 million avoided customer interruptions since 2012, with an associated $1.1 billion in societal savings
- Powering economic development in Illinois, 4,500 new jobs created, $4 billion spent with local suppliers and $1.6 billion with diverse suppliers
- ComEd’s Smart Grid Program helped Illinois achieve its recent ranking as #2 in the nation for our overall Smart Grid efforts and #1 for forward-looking policy support.
- ComEd has distributed $40 million in financial assistance through its CARE programs, with another $10 million committed in 2016
- ComEd’s Smart Ideas® Energy Efficiency program saved ComEd customers $1.75 billion on their electric bills