Utility leaders face more change in the years ahead, not less. This management session on business transformation at T&D University (Oct. 29-31, Dallas, Texas) will discuss the many management issues utility leaders face and discuss the complexity of change in the decade ahead. Business transformation in the industry is taking many different forms, including privatization, M&A, and transformational outsourcing. These transformations are driving new, innovative organizational models. Financial constructs for the industry are becoming more complex. Organizational structures that are far from traditional in the industry are emerging. With those new structures come new skillsets needed to manage the utility of the future decades. We’ll discuss those business skills most important to utility leaders, including the ability to manage change and the people issues as change continues and use case studies to bring real-life experience to the discussion:
Business Transformation Overview – (8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)
Speaker: Doug Housman
Issues Impacting Utility Business today
- Capital investments
- Cost pressures – downward pricing
- Demand Management
- Creating new models for profitability
- De-Re-regulation and choice
- The un-freezing of rates – and impacts
- Customer expectations and demands for service
- Aging Workforce
- Managing Millenniums
Business Transformation Options for Utilities
Organizational Structures in Changing Utility landscape - (10 a.m.-11:30 a.m.)
Speaker: Doug Houseman VP Capgemini EUC practice
- Asset Owner/Operator/Maintainer Model
- Generation, Transmission, Distribution, Energy provider – which?
- Integrated Utility – is tradition still the best?
- Financial constructs
- Other options to explore
Case Study in Organizational Structure - (1 p.m. – 2 p.m.)
- As the region de-regulated and re-regulated first hand experience of an executive that lived through the changes. Lessons learned on what works and doesn’t work in Org structures and utility transformation.
Organizational Change Management - (2 p.m. – 3 p.m.)
Speaker: Ellen Krohne Director, Capgemini Utility Specialist
- Organizational Change Management - what’s it all about?
- Organizational Change Management as a core capability
- Enterprise Change Management for future change-ability
- Value/Risks to investing in OCM
Case Study in Organizational Change Management – Hydro One or TXU (TBD) (3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Panel Discussion with Speakers throughout the Day - (4:30 p.m.-5 p.m.)